Home Improvements and Structural Alterations Grant (HISA)
Boot Camp for Success Tip: If your are in the home improvement business, your knowledge of the HISA grant allows you to help Veterans while at the same time expand your business. Contact us to learn how. (800) 863-2541.
The Home Improvements and Structural Alterations grant is available to all Veterans with disabilities (SCD and non-SCD) to make home improvements to facilitate treatment and essential access to the home, including modifications to:
• Allow entrance or exit from the Veteran’s home
• Improve access to essential facilities (e.g., bathroom and kitchen)
• Install handrails
• Lower electrical outlets and switches
• Improve paths and driveways
• Improve plumbing and electrical work for dialysis patients
Veterans with a disability rating greater than 50 percent may receive up to $6,800. Veterans with a disability rating of lower than 50 percent may receive up to $2,000.
Veterans with service-connected disabilities may receive a HISA grant independently or in conjunction with SAH or SHA grants, depending on the person’s specific needs.
Open the below PDF and go to Section IV to read additional details on the HISA Grant: